Saturday, May 24, 2008

Beauty of the Desert




Sometimes I get sad looking at the landscape here in Elko county. I miss the beauty of the trees and flowers of Utah. The majestic landscape of the Mountains. We have mountains here, which helps but the greenery of Utah is missing. When people talk about the barren desert I can now fully appreciate what they say.
Who knew that sage brush flowered? These pretty little yellow flowers were showing their all. And even the dead wood was beautiful in it's own way.
This rock formation is probably why they call it Fossil Hill. The School District takes the kids there to go?..........Fossil hunting. The rock looks like lava flow... so the rocks hold lots of fossils of stuff caught in the lava. I took 2 groups there. One from Sage Elem. and then Tues. I went to Wendover and got the 4th graders and took them also.
These red rocks were in the same area. I found that interesting and not being a geologist I couldn't tell you why they are there together. Both days turned out to be warm and sunny which made the trip very pleasant. Tues. trip was a long day for me. I left Elko at 4:30 AM heading to Wendover to pick up the kids and bring them back to Elko. Kind og back and forth and back and forth.

0 comments: