Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wednesday, hump day


Well the week is half way over.... is the glass half empty or half full?

Chance and I are 2 weeks (this makes 3) into obedience class. Now for anyone who's gone to doggy classes before you will know that the one who learns to be obedient is really the owner not the dog. I love watching 'Dog Whisperer' on National Geographic channel. It really can help in training your dog. We've had dogs as part of our family for about 14 yrs. now and if I'd known then what I know now (I love cliches')....... anyway Chance and I are learning to be obedient. I keep saying that once he gets to be a dog he'll be a very nice dog..... now if we can just get through puppyhood! Australian Shepherds are very smart dogs, they were bred to be herding dogs but also make very nice companion and pet dogs. I've thought about showing him but getting into the show ring click can be very tough. People aren't always as welcoming as you would think they are, I showed Katie (our 9 yr. old) limitedly when she was about 2 yrs. old Unfortunately the show season conflicts with fishing season and at that time of our life it was just too much. Rick however is encouraging me to show Chance as he is a very nice example of the breed. His breeder is in the top 20 Aussie kennels in the nation and he was one of 2 pups not spoken for in the litter. We were so tickled to get him, after loosing Red last year we were heartbroken. I didn't want to rush into adding another dog to the family but when the opportunity came to acquire Chance we went on a marathon road trip to Reno. It was quite fun and 'Megabucks Chance of a Lifetime' became a Clarke. So now it's time to learn to be obedient and he's doing very well so far. It's an 8 week course through the kennel in Elko. The owner of the kennel who also happens to be the trainer is an Aussie breeder and she thinks Chance is a very nice dog... not only in looks but temperament and personality. I've actually thought of doing obedience with Chance. He's very smart (all Aussie's are smart) and I think might have the temperament for it, we'll see. So I'm off to learn to be obedient!

Do you have pets? Do you like dogs? Are you obedient?

0 comments: